Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is a colourless gas but has a very strong smell of rotten eggs. It is an asphyxiant, flammable and explosive gas risk, making it a hazardous gas. H2S exists naturally and is produced by human and animal waste, exists naturally in volcanic gases, and is a by-product of industrial activity. It is very toxic by inhalation. H2S has a melting point of -85.7 Celsius and a boiling point of -60.2 Celcius.
H2S affects the human body significantly in the nervous and cardiovascular system; it is most likely to be inhaled or make contact with the human body through the eyes or skin. If someone endures prolonged exposure to H2S, they will eventually lose the ability to smell it. Also, if the gas is in a very high concentration, the ability to smell it is removed instantly. Hydrogen Sulphide exists naturally in crude petroleum, natural gas, volcanic gas and hot springs. It is also used to produce sulphuric acid, sulphur, pesticides, leather and heavy water for nuclear plants.
Applications used in
Assessment of the Dangerous Toxic Load (DTL) for Specified Level of Toxicity (SLOT) and Significant Likelihood of Death (SLOD)